Thursday, April 21, 2011

Coal


 We have been watching the tv series Coal on Spike tv lately.  Cody had been looking forward to it since he saw the previews months before it actually aired. Since we've been watching it, I've actually been able to see kind of what he does on a nightly basis.  It's kind of scary.  Now, this mine is a lot smaller than the one he works at and there are a few differences, but the idea and the work are still the same. It's amazing the work these men (and a few women) do and the kind of danger that they deal with each and every shift.  It's scary to think that these people are so far underground, under miles of rock, coal, dirt etc. This show has definitely opened my eyes.  I knew going into this line of work it was going to be very dangerous, but it was something that had to be done! Not only do they deal with cave-ins, explosions, but also methane gas and carbon monoxide.  I know that they take their safety very serious, and there are strict safety codes and procedures that have to be followed.

 I've had people ask me if I worry while he's at work.  Well, yeah I do. I try not to think about it though. Things can go wrong in every job. I know Cody stays aware of his surroundings and tries to stay as safe as he can.  I also try and remember that coal mining is actually in his blood! Cody's Grandpa, Jack Moser was a coal miner for a very, very, very long time. He is actually still known and respected here in these small towns even though he has passed. Cody's Uncle Terry (Sharon's sister-Bonnie's husband) has also been a coal miner for a very long time. It's a great job, not for the weak (physically or mentally).  It's challenging and exhausting most nights.

Not everyone likes coal miners though. There is actually a restaurant here in town that will not serve coal miners.  It is owned and operated by people that are "one with nature" (not that there is anything wrong with that). All I can say about it is "You have power to operate your business don't you?" Anyway, I know there is a lot of controversy on coal mining, but right now that industry is providing for my family. The mines around here employ most of the people here. Coal miners are hard working, decent people. They aren't the poor, redneck people that the stereotype portrays.

My eyes have definitely been opened living among these awesome people, and getting to know them and their families.  I have a greater appreciation for what they do to make an honest living. If you have a chance, check out the show! It has been "enhanced" a little for dramatic effect, but you can definitely get the idea!

Oh and yes, they do come out as black as it shows on the tv show! Jordyn was pretty amazed (or disgusted) by that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment